Over the years, we’ve collected digital texts that we love using in our reading and writing workshops. We use them in 3 main ways:
- Entry points into complex skills such as analyzing a text for symbolism.
- Mentor Texts
- Close reading texts
Our book, Teaching Interpretation, goes into detail about how you can use these texts in your reading workshop in order to teach the literary elements (mood, fig. language, symbolism, theme, perspective, etc.)
Here are our Top 10 favorite digital texts! These are our go-to digital texts each year.
- “Roar” by Katy Perry (Fig. Language)
2. “Shirley the Elephant Parts 1” (Perspective)
3. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech (Fig. Language, Mood, Theme)
4. Android commercial- “Friendship Furever” (Theme)
5. “Let It Go” Disney’s Frozen (Symbolism)
6. “La Luna” Disney Pixar (Symbolism, Theme)
7. “Touch the Sky” lyrics only Disney’s Brave (Fig. Language, Mood)
8. Sea World commercials (Perspective)
9. Cooper the dog (Perspective, Theme)
10. Girls First Ski Jump (Mood, Symbolism, Perspective, Theme)